Your account is powered by Storbie. To edit your profile visit my.storbie.com
No, chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats because it contains a natural stimulant called theobromine. Whilst we metabolise it easily, dogs and cats process theobromine very slowly, so it can accumulate in their system, resulting in dangerously high levels that become toxic. The affects can range from having an upset tummy to at the extreme end of killing them, depending on how much chocolate they have eaten and how big your pet is.
If your pet has ingested any amount of chocolate, big or small, you need to seek veterinary attention immediately. This way we can give you the best advice, including if we need to urgently make your pet vomit to help prevent any nasty side effects.
As a rule, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. The more chocolate your pet has eaten versus their body weight, the worse it is.
It may take 6-12 hours before your dog or cat show signs of chocolate toxicity.
Low levels can cause:
Medium levels cause cardiac signs, such as:
High levels cause neurologic signs, including:
If you are hiding chocolate eggs for your kids to find, please ensure you count how many you hide and ensure all are found by humans, to prevent pets from having a sneaky unsafe chocolate snack.
Most hot cross buns contain a mixture of dried fruits like sultanas, raisins, and currants which are poisonous to dogs and cats, causing stomach issues and kidney failure.
Dogs especially can become very unwell after eating even small amounts of grapes and similar dried fruits. Symptoms of poisoning can vary between dogs, and include vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain, low energy, and reduced appetite. Some dogs are unaffected by the fruits, whereas others develop severe symptoms just a few hours after eating them.
Some hot cross buns may also contain chocolate, so do not feed any hot cross buns to your pets.
Beautiful to look at and delicious to smell, sadly lilies are toxic to pets, especially to cats. Even licking lily pollen off their fur can lead to cats getting kidney failure.
The lily plants of greatest concern are any from the genus Lilium, including Easter lilies, Christmas lilies, tiger lilies, and Asiatic lilies, and from the genus Hemerocallis, including day lilies.
Ideally, if you own cats, do not plant, or have lilies as cut flowers inside. Signs your cat has lily poisoning include drooling/salivation, vomiting, loss of appetite, Increased urination, dehydration, depression, and lethargy.
Enjoy your Easter holidays and remember to keep Easter treats out of reach from your pets. Instead, offer your pet dog treats or cat treats made especially for them.
If you are concerned your pet has ingested any amount of chocolate, hot cross buns, or lilies, please call us immediately.
The above information is provided as an educational guide only and is not a substitute for advice from your pet’s healthcare professionals. If your pet’s symptoms continue, you are concerned about them, or want further information, please don’t hesitate to contact us!